Madras Studios : Narrative, Genre and Ideology in Tamil Cinema
This book documents the history of Tamil cinema, one of the most colossal film industries in the worldand studies the major studios...
- ISBN: 9789351501213
- Availability: In Stock
- Author Swarnavel Eswaran Pillai
- Publisher Sage Publications India Pvt.Ltd,
- Binding Paperback
MRP Rs1,295.00 Our Price Rs1,039.00
USUALLY DISPATCHED IN 2-3 DAYS
GUARANTEE: NO PIRACY OR USED BOOKS
Rs 49 FOR BOOK VALUE BELOW RS 400
Rs 99 FOR BOOK VALUE Rs 400 & ABOVE
WE ACCEPT PAYMENT BY
This book documents the history of Tamil cinema, one of the most colossal film industries in the worldand studies the major studios of Madras, the largest outside classical Hollywood in the private sector.
It engages with five major studios of Madras-Modern Theatres, AVM, Gemini, Vijaya-Vauhiniand Prasad - through the origins of their foundersand explicates how their history influenced the narratives, genreand ideology of the canonical films made in Madras studios, arguing for their lasting influence on Tamil cinema.
Based on rare primary and secondary materials and oral history, this book engages with Tamil cinema at the intersection of its industrial, culturaland socio-political history to argue for its specificity in terms of its aesthetics and its belief in the potential of the medium to mobilize audiences for ideology, politics and reflexivity.
Table of Contents
- A Multiplicity of Influence: Modern Theatres and Its Films
- AVM and Gemini Studios: The Dravidian Movement and the Competing Narratives
- Vijaya-Vauhini and Prasad: The Other Narratives
- Traces of the Studio System: A Certain Tendency of the Tamil Cinema
- Dravidian Utopia and Dystopia: Canonical and Contemporary Tamil Cinema
|Author||Swarnavel Eswaran Pillai|
|Publisher||Sage Publications India Pvt.Ltd,|