A Beginner's Guide to Unix
Operating system (OS) forms the interface between an end user and a system hardware. UNIX as an operating system remains...
- ISBN: 9788120337862
- Availability: Out Of Stock
- Author Sivaselvan B , Gopalan N. P
- Publisher PHI Learning Private Limited
- Binding Paperback
- ADD-Shipping Charges 49
MRP Rs195.00 Our Price Rs172.00
USUALLY DISPATCHED IN 2-3 DAYS
Rs 49 FOR BOOK VALUE BELOW RS 400
Rs 99 FOR BOOK VALUE Rs 400 & ABOVE
WE ACCEPT PAYMENT BY
The text begins with a brief account of what an operating system is. Then it goes to give the various general purpose UNIX commands and emergency commands with the command syntax. Besides, the text explores files and processes, the major building blocks of UNIX OS, their security features, and system calls. UNIX shell programming, vi editor––one of the powerful editors supported by UNIX OS––and communicating features and their commands are also dealt with at length. The book concludes with a discussion on file transfer, UNIX filters, PERL manipulation, administrator and networking commands.
- Ready to refer handbook for UNIX commands/features.
- Commands illustrated for better understanding and visualization of concepts.
- Administrator-related commands and responsibilities described with clarity.
This concise and compact text is well suited for undergraduate and postgraduate students pursuing courses in Computer Science and Engineering, and Computer Applications (BCA and MCA). Besides, Software Engineers working on UNIX/Linux-based applications would considerably benefit from this book.
About the Author
B. SIVASELVAN Ph.D., is Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design and Manufacturing Kancheepuram, IIT Madras Campus, Chennai. Recipient of AICTE’s National Doctoral Fellowship (NDF) and Early Faculty Induction Programme (EFIP) Fellowship, Dr. Sivaselvan has over eight years of teaching and research experience. He has about eight publications to his credit in conferences and journals. He is the co-author of three other books with Professor N.P. Gopalan, all published by PHI Learning, New Delhi.
His areas of interest are data mining, formal methods, artificial intelligence and data structures.
N.P. GOPALAN Ph.D., is Professor, Department of Computer Applications, National Institute of Technology Tiruchirapalli. He has more than twenty-five years of teaching and research experience. He has over one hundred research papers to his credit in conferences and journals of repute. He is also the author of four other books: TCP/IP Illustrated (with B. Sivaselvan), Web Technology: A Developer’s Perspective (with J. Akilandeswari), A Beginner’s Guide to UNIX (with B. Sivaselvan) and Data Mining: Techniques and Trends (with B. Sivaselvan), all published by PHI Learning, New Delhi.
His research interests include distributed computing, knowledge engineering and information retrieval.
Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction to Operating System
- 2. Encounter with UNIX Commands
- 3. General Purpose Commands
- 4. The UNIX Files System
- 5. UNIX Files Continued
- 6. UNIX Files: Security Features
- 7. The VI (vi) Editor
- 8. UNIX Shell
- 9. UNIX Processes
- 10. Setting Up the Workspace and Environment
- 11. Communication Features of UNIX
- 12. UNIX Files: Advanced Features
- 13. UNIX Filters
- 14. The grep and sed filters in UNIX
- 15. The Shell Programming in UNIX
- 16. UNIX Administrators Commands
- 17. UNIX Networking Commands
- 18. The AWK Filters
- 19. PERL Manipulation
- 20. Advanced Features and Commands with vi Editor
- 21. UNIX Files Related System Calls
- 22. UNIX Process Related System Calls
- 23. Appendix
|Author||Sivaselvan B, Gopalan N. P|
|Publisher||PHI Learning Private Limited|