A Dictionary of World History : Oxford Quick Reference
This wide-ranging dictionary contains a wealth of information on all aspects of history, from prehistory right up to the present...
- ISBN: 9780199685691
- Availability: In Stock
- Author Anne Kerr
- Publisher Oxford University Press
- Binding Paperback
MRP Rs495.00 Our Price Rs436.00
USUALLY DISPATCHED IN 2-3 DAYS
GUARANTEE: NO PIRACY OR USED BOOKS
Rs 49 FOR BOOK VALUE BELOW RS 400
Rs 99 FOR BOOK VALUE Rs 400 & ABOVE
WE ACCEPT PAYMENT BY
This wide-ranging dictionary contains a wealth of information on all aspects of history, from prehistory right up to the present day. Over 4,000 clear, concise entries include biographies of key figures in world history (living and dead), separate entries for every country in the world (summarising key historical events) and in-depth entries on religious and political movements, international organizations and major conflicts and events and their after-effects.
For this new edition, existing entries have been revised and updated to reflect the very latest global events including changes in leadership, wars, political situations and the statistical information given for each country (population counts, currency, languages, religions). New entries have been included for key figures who have recently come to prominence and world events.
The book also contains twenty-five detailed maps linked to key historical events and topics. These include the African slave trade, the Black Death and the Normandy campaign. Also included are over 200 country maps. The dictionary is enhanced by entry-level web links which are accessed via a dedicated companion website.
Encyclopedic in scope, this ambitious A to Z provides an excellent overview of world history both for students and anyone with an interest in the subject.
- Fully revised and updated history dictionary, containing over 4,000 clear, concise and accessible entries
- Includes biographies of key figures in world history, from Alexander the Great to Pope Francis, Elizabeth I to Nelson Mandela
- International coverage: detailed entries for every country in the world
- In-depth entries on religious and political movements, international organizations and key battles and their after-effects
- Detailed maps covering events and topics such as Black Death, the American War of Independence and the Ottoman Empire
- Entry-level web links listed and regularly updated on a dedicated companion website
About the Author
Edmund Wright graduated from Oxford University in 1985 with a doctorate in history and entered publishing as a reference-book editor. Since 2004 he has been a self-employed contractor. Work has included updating the content of OUP's Dictionary of World History (2nd edition 2006 and 3rd edition 2014) and Dictionary of Computing (6th edition 2008), proofreading work on the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (6th edition 2007) and the Historical Thesaurus of the Oxford English Dictionary (2009).
|Publisher||Oxford University Press|